Saturday, April 16, 2011

Endless Inspiration

I don't know if I've told you before, but I learned how to quilt while I lived in Japan in 2002.  Japanese housewife culture, including their approach to quilting, has always fascenated me.  I should have been an anthropologist and studied that more intensely, I know, but I got caught up in trying to communicate and became an ESL teacher instead.  Anyway..
I discovered flickr in 2006 and the quilts I saw there lead me to start blogging about quilting.  Tonight I want to share a handful of my favorite quilt photos from the Tokyo International Quilt festivals held each year in January.  One year I'll make it there myself, but until then, I will live vicariously through Jennifer and Jan.


Movinghands Tokyo Quilt Fest 2006 Set (one of my all-time favorites is the 9th quilt in the set-- the blue one)



All photos in this post were taken by Jan of Be*mused, used with permission.

(*I hate to post quilt photos without information about the makers, but sadly most of these pics don't include any.  Apparently the quilter info is only printed in Japanese at the show.  If you have any information for any of these quilts, please comment and I will give them proper credit.)

4 comments:

  1. OMG. These photos ARE so inspiring. I have bookmarked this page so I can keep referring to it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always blown away by Japanese quilts, and these are no exception. Thanks for bringing them to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These quilts are so special. Elegantly serene. They just make me sigh. I think about the work and persistence of the quilters and how impatient I am at times to get it done and move on. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Were you ever able to locate the creator of the beautiful applique quilt in greens on the grey background from the Tokyo Quilt Show 2009?

    ReplyDelete