Friday, August 19, 2011

Design Class

I will be teaching a combination design/curve piecing class at the City Quilter in September. I have taken the traditional Drunkard's Path block - added a few half-square triangles and created a new block that I call Infinite Possibilities. The pattern looks great in all fabrics and would create a fun scrap quilt.

The Drunkard's Path block provides endless possibilities for design and with the addition of these new elements it seems like the possibilities have increased.  Here are some samples that I made (they are hanging at the shop).

This sample uses Asian inspired fabrics

30s Repros add fun to this one - it sort of reminds me of those adaptors I had to use in those old 45 records

This design reminds me of Art Deco fans

I call this one Millstone - stepping up the color/value placement helps to create a secondary design.

Here is the same pattern as with the 30 Repros - creating an entirely different look. What would happen if you switched out the lights for darks, and darks for lights - come and find out!

I call this one Waves - someone called it Falling Leaves - what would you call it?


I hope you might consider taking the class (here is a LINK to the class schedule- the class is on page 3). The class meets for two sessions, September 15th and 29th from either 12-2 or 6-8.  We will be dealing with color/value placement and block arrangement as well as different techniques for curve piecing. I am using a commercially available template which makes cutting out the pieces a breeze.  Drop me a note at bigrigquilting@gmail.com if you have any questions and spread the word to others who you think might be interested.

Thanks!

John

No comments:

Post a Comment