Sunday, October 23, 2011

Let's get talking: Holiday Quilts

Today I came across the 12 Days of Christmas blog hop and realized I should probably get started on my holiday sewing too, but instead, I came here to give us all a new talking topic for the week..

Have you made any holiday-specific quilts? 
Bed and throw quilts, wall hangings, table runners, tree skirts, dreidel mug rugs?

How and why did you make it?  Do you pull it out only for the holiday or does it get used year round?  Snap some pics, write a post, and tell us all about it!

I have always wanted to make a halloween quilt, and bought fabric and made sketches for one in May a couple years ago, but the project got shelved.  I'd also like a Christmas throw (because Victoria's are just adorable!!), but that hasn't happened yet either.  The one holiday piece I have made is a small tree wall-hanging (miniquilt?) for my mom:
(sorry, I took the pic before the quilting was finished.)
I made it for her one year when we knew we weren't going to be home for Christmas, and thought she might need some cheering up.  She ended up keeping it up year round, it's still on the wall across from her bed.
This was my first time embellishing a quilt and though I think it works on this piece, I haven't tried it again.

I used a store-bought sequined star and traced my son's hand in regular felt.  The project was originally inspired by trees Kathy had made, but I can't find the original post now.  I had grand ideas of making little mini-quilts for the whole family, but that hasn't happened yet either.

So, what about you?  Have you quilted up goodies for the holidays?  Halloween, Thanksgiving, 4th of July, Valentine's Day?  Dig 'em out, and let's get talking~

3 comments:

  1. good lord! now I'm thinking I'd better get started!!!!

    Love what you did for your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got three Christmas quilts done this year... LOL it's the only THEME quilt I make... Hoping to show you in December one or two... ;-) One is on my wall right now, one has been done since February. GO FIGURE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My "Christmas Crosses", went on my bed, last week. WINK!

    ReplyDelete