Friday, June 28, 2013

Long Way to Piece

Hello Metro Mod Quilters-

I'm inspired by Jess at lifeunderquilts to redouble my efforts on my "post-Sandy" hand piecing project. Since I don't have my own blog, I'm going to write this post for her "Monday Morning Star Count" (http://lifeunderquilts.blogspot.com/2013/06/monday-morning-star-count.html). My counts will more likely end up being on Fridays since that's when I tend to have some free time these days...

This quilt started because my power went out early during Superstorm Sandy. I was planning to go to bed early that night but was too anxious. I ended up cutting diamonds out of my fat scrap pile... by flashlight! I had one star left over from my first hand-piecing effort, and I decided to embed it in a new project which ended up being chevrons. Somehow I often have a rainbow theme to my quilts. I love the color wheel in its entirety and I can't seem to leave any out. I have lots of diamonds now, on the order of 500 or so:
That photo was taken in November 2012. It shows generally how I intend to put it together: one star in each set of four rows, blending through the color wheel from one side to the other. By now I have finished piecing a couple of star sections:

I am not the fastest quilter in the world! I may still make these rows longer, I want to end up with a good sized nap/lap quilt. I have pieced 158 diamonds so far, so perhaps I am a quarter of the way through? I have brought this project to a couple of meetings so far, I'm sure it will take many more! I'm listening to Railroad Earth's "Long Way to Go" right now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh8LhoL02CU) which seems appropriate...

4 comments:

  1. So glad you haven't forgotten about this one. It's going to be great~
    Miss you..
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing... and such patience!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see these in person. I agree about loving all colors, but will try to stick to Indigo in my current EPP. Of course, that is probably a futile attempt. See you on Monday Morning Stars....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, I love your layout. I am drawn to quilts that shift color like this, and having the star in them is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the NYC Metro Modern Quilters Guild blog! We appreciate your comments.