Tuesday, March 25, 2014

New Member Q&A with Emily Nieder


This is a new Q & A series to get to know our members.  Today, Emily Nieder talks to us about her experience as a quilter.

Q: Tell us about yourself.  Where are you from and how long have you been in our guild?
A: I grew up in the Bay Area, CA, and I’ve lived in NYC for 5 years.  I joined the guild in 2013.



 
Q: Have you always been crafty?  What other things do you make? 
A: I’ve always loved to draw, paint, and make things with my hands.  I went through a knitting phase and attempted to sew garments for myself before discovering quilting in 2012.  I love how quilting combines sewing with image design.
 
Q: Where do you sew?
A: In my living room.


 Q: What is your favorite type of project?
A: Right now I love traditional piecing and quilting feathers.  I try to make my quilts more contemporary with modern fabrics.

Q: What’s your favorite quilting tool?
A: My Quilt Halo

Q: What type of fabrics do you use most often?
A:   I like to mix different types of fabrics and care more about color and texture than whether they are modern, reproductions, or batiks.

Q: Who or what inspires you most in quilting?
A: I have learned how to quilt entirely by following classes online, mostly on Craftsy.com.  I have been inspired by the various instructors and also by my classmates; it’s great to see others’ projects and how they interpreted the same lessons that I took.



 Q: What are you working on now?
A: Butterflies!  I found this block pattern online and loved the vintage feel.


Q: What kind of projects would you like to tackle in the coming year?
A: I plan to make my first queen size quilt for my mother’s 60th birthday.  I’ve already picked out fabric that complements her curtains.



Q: Do you have a blog, flickr, pinterest, or other place on the web you’d like to share?
A: I share some of my quilts on Pinterest, username ernieder.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Those are some great butterflies! Is that foundation piecing? Can you share the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the interview Emily and Andrea! Great to get to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving these interviews making a come back, welcome Emily and will no doubt see you in The City Quilter again soon :D

    ReplyDelete