Sunday, February 2, 2020

Block Lotto for March - Scrappy Strips

Hi Mods,

Hope you're all having a great weekend.  This month's block is a good way to continue using those scraps that we all save!



All you need to make this block is a 7" x 7" piece of gray solid or near-solid fabric and a variety of scraps that will contrast with the gray background fabric that you chose.

For each block, cut 3 pieces from the gray fabric:

1- 6-1/2" x 3"
1- 4" x 3"
1- 3" x3"

Now sew together two small strips of scraps:

1- 4" x 1-1/2"
1 - 3" x 1-1/2"


I sew together scraps of fabric into strips when I need mindless sewing so I had these ready to go.  I find it's easier to piece 3"- 4" scraps and then cut them to size when I need them.   (Yes, that's our cat's rear end at the top of the photo.  He just would not move and since he was staying out of my way in general I left well enough alone!)


This is our layout:

First, sew together the 3" x3" square and the 3" x 1-1/2" strip:


Press seams - whether you press them open or to one side isn't as important (at least to me!) as the overall concept of pressing well between each step.

Next, sew that piece to the 4" x 1-1/2" scrappy strip:


Press seams and then sew that piece to the 4" x 3" gray rectangle:


Press seams and sew that piece to the 6"-1/2" x 3" gray rectangle:


Press seams and you have a finished block!



I hope you all enjoy making this block.  Have a great February and see you at the March meeting!

Best,
Maureen

 






No comments:

Post a Comment