Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Lucky 13 June Bee


Hi “Lucky 13” NYC Metro Mod Bee members!  I’m Laura, the June Queen Bee.  I really loved Karen’s December block choice “Rocky Road to Kansas”, so I poked around a bunch of blogs, came back to the “Summer Sampler” series on Freshly Pieced and found the “Arkansas Traveler” block to be a fun twist on that.   Here’s the link: http://freshlypieced.blogspot.com/2011/07/summer-sampler-series-arkansas-traveler.html

The block is a mix of regular piecing (center diamonds) and some very simple paper piecing to get the outside borders on.  Four “quadrants” are created, then sewn to create the 12.5” unfinished block.  Here’s my version:


 I’m mailing packets which include directions, (4) paper-piecing templates, white background fabric and a bunch of diamonds made from American Jane’s Pezzy Prints (seen here in center and corners, but arrange as you like).  I bought a layer cake of the fabric and just love the wide range of colors and extensive white in this collection.  Not only do I have happy childhood “Pez” Candy memories, but the fabric just feels fresh, fun and summery to me.  I’m hoping you’ll use 4-8 of those diamonds and supplement with whatever works best from your stash to keep that light/bright feel.  Please avoid any fabric that reads predominantly purple or black if possible (purple already dominates most of my projects and heavy black doesn’t feel summery).  Keep whatever diamonds you don’t use for your stash.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!   Unfortunately I will not be at the June meeting, but fortunately for me I'll be at a favorite 4 day quilt retreat, so we'll be kindred "quilty" spirits on Saturday.  
Have a great summer if I don't see you!

Laura

1 comment:

  1. wow, laura, your sample looks great! I can't wait to get a hold of my package and get started for you. Sorry you won't be at Saturday's meeting, but know that you'll also be having fun. You'll miss seeing the blocks I collected (all fantastic -- including yours) but when I've gotten them all and then actually done something with them, I'll bring it all back. Have fun and happy sewing.
    Jody

    ReplyDelete