Sunday, May 8, 2011

Muriel (Betty Crocker)

My mother never owned a sewing machine.... she did have plenty of needles for mending... shirts, socks (darning ball and all), turned my father's collars, etc. She never thought of herself as creative... even though we kids knew differently. Her sister (13 years older) was the one who taught me to crewel, needle point, embroider... I almost said no one had quilted in the family before me, but then i remembered two twin size quilts that my mother hand appliqued tulips on and hand quilted little curves over the rest of the top. She said she'd admired someone's quilt and wanted to try it herself.... no lessons, no patterns... but the result is lovely and they're on my sister's beds. I never did make her a quilt (sadly) but did knit her many sweaters, shawls, scarves and i painted a few pictures which she hung on her living room walls!
I have Betty Crocker as part title since she was the official Betty from the 50's through the 60's so when I was homesick in college I just needed to go to the baking aisle.
Happy Mother's Day to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment