Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Bee Blocks

This was not my first attempt at paper-piecing, but I would certainly consider myself a novice. I find it very challenging. To say the least, I’m so happy to be done, but very pleased with the result. In the process brainstorming what kind of block to make, I turned to my very limited assortment of quilt books. Carol Doak’s Simply Sensational 9-Patch Stars was a book that has been sitting on my shelf unused for years. I decided to make star #4 named ‘Arkansas.’ I thought it was super pretty, but also appropriate since Helen got the gold fabric in the Natural State (just an hour from where I live). I picked fabrics from my scraps and stash, and then I started to cut away. It didn’t take long to realize that I wouldn’t have enough of the gold fabric, since I was using it as the neutral. Thankfully, Helen was nice enough to send me a bit more. It’s amazing how much is used up in seam allowances. This block took me many hours, so I certainly cannot imagine making an entire quilt of paper-pieced blocks.

November for Jessica – A couple of 8th grade students helped me pick the fabrics for the window panes. The simple geometry of this block is very appealing.


October for Mary – I challenged myself to not measure or use my rotary cutter on this block. I really enjoyed making it because it came together so quickly.


September for Nicole – I was late getting this block done. It gave me a chance to see what the other participants in the bee did for their blocks, so I could make mine different. This was my first Dresden Plate block, so I was a bit intimidated. I got over my apprehension and ended up really liking it...especially the scrappy look.








1 comment:

  1. I am super impressed by your Arkansas star! You have really mastered paper piecing beautifully. Thank you so much for this glorious block. It will really shine in my quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the NYC Metro Modern Quilters Guild blog! We appreciate your comments.