Thursday, August 4, 2011

41 for David


41
I was especially excited about this challenge, which may explain why I started on it right away. I’ve seen the circular flying geese blocks on several blogs, but this is my first attempt. I really like how it turned out. I got the paper-piecing template here. It says that it will finish as a 12 inch block, but it actually finishes 10 inches.
Now for the explanation of my block - I have Grapheme Synesthesia. It essentially means that my brain “sees” each number (and some letters) as a different color. The number/color equivalents have always been the same since I was a little kid. My earliest number memories include their corresponding colors. I'm not really sure about the eye/brain specifics. I've read that researchers think that when a synesthete sees a number or letter which would elicit a response from the left side of the brain, then the message first takes a detour through the other side of the brain picking up the color. Essentially, in my brain the number 4 is blue and the number 1 is light gray (lighter than the gray I used, but it’s all I had). This is the first time I’ve expressed my synesthesia in quilt form!

5 comments:

  1. oh wow...i saw a special on that...and find it absolutely fascinating...and wow...what a joy to see sooo visually....and it is absolutely stellar block and an amazing story for David to remember....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is soooo interesting... the block looks great, sounds like a possibility for a series?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fascinating. I know that I have certain associations between colors and music. The key of F is blue, the key of C is white, etc.....Not that it will help me make David's block!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. But since I'm not in this Bee, I'd love to know what the parameters are.... What was/is david's request?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your block! I just finished a red and white circle of flying geese quilt. I set it on point and it turned out beautiful. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the NYC Metro Modern Quilters Guild blog! We appreciate your comments.