Saturday, February 12, 2011

Okay, talking process here - part 2

I am almost finished piecing this top together.
I have just LOVED this process.
It is like a big puzzle and I found that there is a great strategy to proceeding with the piecing.
First, I realized that the "Y," or pivoting seams as Victoria suggested, were just too
stressful for me. I couldn't keep the fabrics lined up correctly and I was getting puckers.
I started using partial seaming instead and that worked beautifully.
The partial seaming became like a game of chess. "If I sew this seam halfway here and that other seam halfway there, I can get a full seam over here."
I haven't had any puckers since. I have had to add in strips of fabric here and there where I thought things would meet up and they haven't, but it just adds to a scrappier, (if that's possible) look.

This top has been really fun to work on and I can't wait to do another.
I guess that means I need to make about 15 more quilts so that I can have a whole new set of orphan blocks!
What a shame! ;)

5 comments:

  1. which ever way works for you! looks great! they are so addicting to make... i figure for one a year... so many great blocks in here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. or we can just send you OUR orphan blocks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes please! I would love to get your orphan blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt top makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. really LOVE this top! What a great explosion of colors, designs, memories of quilts gone by......
    Thanks for including us in the process!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the NYC Metro Modern Quilters Guild blog! We appreciate your comments.